I had the privilege this week to attend a 2-day orientation session for HBA Executive Officers at NAHB’s headquarters in Washington D.C.
It was truly eye opening! It is incredible to learn of all the resources they have an offer our members. (Reminder, by joining the Home Builders Association of Delaware, you automatically become a member of NAHB.
The intensive 2 day session started at the Wilmington train station
– kind of desolate compared to Union Station in D.C.
When you enter the atrium arched lobby entrance of the building, its hard to miss the prominently located bust of Leon N Weiner – a fitting tribute to Delaware’s first NAHB President. The inscription reads “The Conscience of Housing in America”.
NAHB is huge. NAHB represents 140,000 members from across the country. They count only the primary member of each firm – thus they practically represent millions of employees at all those firms. Membership includes any and all businesses that touch or are involved in the housing and shelter industry – builders, remodelers, sub-contractors, suppliers, banks, realtors, mortgage companies, engineers, trash companies, car dealers, etc.
And when you need help or education, or resources, they are there to help us and you. What services does NAHB provide, besides assistance to local and state associations? A sampling:
- Communications Resources – services, resources and vehicles to educate, enlighten and empower our members. Online toolkits, training, consumer articles and handouts and more.
- Specialized Councils for members with specific interests: Remodelers, Sales and Marketing, MultiFamily, 50+, Student Chapters and more.
- Member Advantage programs for discounts on all sorts of products such as Lowes, Dell, Avis and more.
- NAHB BuilderBooks for all topics related to improving your business.
- Government Affairs – a biggie, they keep a watch on all legislation and regulation that could help or hinder your business – laws, building codes, environmental policy, labor/safety/health, land use and design
- Educational training thru HBI skills building program, and numerous specialized certifications such as for sales, remodeling and more.
- Economic and Housing Policy studies and surveys
- Business Management assistance for members
- Legal Research
Check out all they have to offer at http://www.nahb.org. BUT you need to log in – the most informative half of the content is only available after you log in.
And of course we in Delaware are privileged that our own Kevin Kelly of Leon N. Weiner & Associates is at the helm this year as Chairman of NAHB. Kevin is only the second member from Delaware to achieve this.
So I encourage all members to take advantage of all of the value your membership provides. If you have any questions email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.